Do you love cooking? If you do, a stand mixer is not already a stranger to you. This kitchen equipment is very versatile because you can use this for various purposes and different recipes that you love to cook. A stand mixer is usually designed to help you in beating eggs, whip cream, and mix sauces or other ingredients. Nowadays, there are several popular best affordable stand mixers in the market and each of them ranges from portable hand mixers to heavy-duty stand mixers suitable for professional and long usage. So, are you curious on how to use affordable stand mixers? Do not worry because this article will serve as your guide for that problem!
Easy Steps on Using Affordable Stand Mixers
Every person who just loves to cook is already familiar with the utility of stand mixers. However, if you are just a beginner in the kitchen as you venture out for a new hobby, do not worry because this article will be your ultimate friend. Let us together explore how to use the best affordable stand mixer as you step up in your cooking game!
Preparing your Stand Mixer
If you have an unwrapped stand mixer and have no idea on how you would proceed, you are on the right track because we will together solve that problem right away. Before knowing how to calibrate the measurement on your stand mixer, you must first learn the necessary steps on how to set it up. Be guided with the following tips below on preparing the best affordable stand mixers.
Familiarize the Stand Mixer that you own and Its Manual
It is important to know the ins and outs of the stand mixer that you own because each stand mixer is designed for specific purposes. To begin with, familiarize yourself with the owner’s manual that came with your stand mixer since it varies by brand and type. You can check if your stand mixer has a bowl that can be lift up and down using a lever or if the head tilts back.
- Take note that stand mixers that are larger in size usually utilize the bowl lift lever while lower-powered mixers frequently use the tilting head.
Secure the Bowl in Place for a Tilt Head Mixer
All stand mixers should have a glass or metal mixing bowl that fits perfectly on the base of the machine. You can secure the bowl in place and turn it in clockwise direction as it tightens into place.
Put the Bowl into the Equipment for a Bowl that Lifts
You can do this by lining up the attachments on the side of the bowl with the attachments on the sides of the mixer.
- Push the bowl down so it is set to the machine.
- Remember that you should hear a loud click as you place the bowl in place
Lock the Attachment into the Head of the Mixer
For all kinds of stand mixers, the next step that you should do is to get out the flat blade, dough box, or wire whip and line up the opening on the end of the attachment with the pin on the head of the mixer.
- To lock the machine, lower the head and push the lever on the side to “lock” for a tilt head mixer.
- Bring the lever on the side of the machine up in a counterclockwise movement for a mixer with a movable bowl.
Choosing Speeds and Attachments
Now that you already have known how to set up the best affordable stand mixers, let us now proceed to selecting speeds and attachments. Be guided with the following steps below.
Turn the Equipment on to Low
Before anything else, start the mixer at a low speed so the ingredients would not scatter around especially when you are combining something with dry ingredients flour and powdered sugar. Increase the speed once all the ingredients are moistened.
Set the Equipment Speed
To do this, use the lever on the side of the machine to select the speed you need. You can pick a speed depending on what you are making:
- Slow speed for starting the machine or combining dry ingredients.
- Speed 2 (low) for slow mixing heavy batters or cutting in butter.
- Speed 4 (medium-low) for mixing cookie doughs or beating egg whites.
- Speed 6 (medium) for creaming butter and beating frostings.
- Speed 8 (medium-high) for fast beating or whipping to make meringues and whipped cream.
- Speed 10 (high) for fast whipping a small amount of egg whites or cream.
Use the Flat Beater for your Needs
You should use the flat beater if you frequently make batters, cooking doughs, and frostings. This is also called a paddle attachment which is best for mixing heavy mixtures.
Use Wire Whip and Dough Hook
To lighten batters or to beat air into eggs or cream, you should use the wire whip attachment so your cake batter, meringues, frosting, buttercream, and whipped cream will turn out best. For yeasted breads and doughs, you can use the dough hook which is shaped like a classic hook or spiral. You can utilize speed 2 when kneading the dough with the hook.
Taking Care of Stand Mixers
Since you already learned how to use the best affordable stand mixers, it is also important to discover how you can take care of them so they can last long.
These are the simple steps on how to take care with your stand mixer:
- Store your stand mixer in a place that is easy to access like on the counter instead of a pantry closet.
- Wipe down the mixer to get rid of dirt, batter, and flour with a damp cloth after use.
- Use soapy water to wash the bowl and attachments.
- Adjust the height of the beater attachment so it does not scrape the bowl.
- Secure the hinge if the head of the stand mixer twitches.
A stand mixer is one of the most essential and useful equipment in the kitchen. Now that you already know how to use the best affordable stand mixers, do not forget to take care also of them so you can use them for a long period of time. Always be careful on using stand mixers so you can maximize its utility without compromising your safety.
Learn more about hand mixers here!