Who is the Grace Millane murder suspect what is he accused of?

GRACE Millane died while backpacking in New Zealand and a man is currently on trial for her murder.

The man cannot be identified due to legal reasons but some details about the accused have emerged.

A 27-year-old man has been charged with the murder of Grace Millane
Simon Runting

Who is the Grace Millane murder suspect?

The suspect is a 27-year-old male New Zealander.

The man – whose occupation is unknown – is alleged to have killed Grace between December 1 and 2, 2018.

He has denied murder.

He was seen entering the £130-a-night CityLife Hotel with Grace.

Grace Millane, 22, vanished on December 1 while backpacking in New Zealand

The 27-year-old allegedly called Grace “beautiful, very radiant” on social media just 11 minutes before she was seen alive for the last time, entering a hotel with a man.

Pals said he had moved into an apartment in the CityLife hotel in Auckland, New Zealand, after getting cash from his grandparents.

A family friend said he dated a number of British backpackers and liked “the admiration of young females”.

The man cannot be named due to a temporary suppression order.

She disappeared while staying in Auckland, in New Zealand’s North Island

What is the suspect accused of?

Grace Millane and the accused visited a number of bars in Wellington after the pair met on dating app Tinder, the Auckland High Court heard on the opening day of the trial.

The date ended with them going back to where the suspect lived at a CityLife hotel in the city.

There the pair engaged in a sexual encounter.

Prosecution lawyer Robin McCoubrey said Grace had died from pressure to her neck and had been strangled until she bled through her nose.

Defending, Ian Brookie claimed the pair had “consensually” engaged in the act, saying Grace had asked the defendant to put his hands around her neck to choke her so she could “enhance her sexual pleasure”.

he parents of Grace Millane, David and Gillian Millane arrive with Detective Inspector Scott Beard, left, at the Auckland High Court
Getty Images – Getty

However Mr Coubrey claimed the suspect later searched online for places to hide the body and also used Google to search for “the hottest fire” as part of his attempt to dispose of the body, rather than notify the police.

He added he told the police they had engaged in rough sexual intercourse involving biting and hitting with the defendant saying he fell asleep in the shower before waking and going back to bed.

When he awoke he claimed he found her lying on the floor with blood coming out of her nose but did not call the emergency services.


Leave a Reply